Profile: Nicholas Sharratt, Singer in Orpheus in the Underworld
Tell us 3 things people might be surprised to learn about you?
- I have recently become a father to a smashing little chap called Barnaby
- I once considered a career in the military and trained as an army officer at university
- I recently had to walk on stilts and fly on a highwire for an opera.
What's your favourite opera moment or character?
Fenton in Verdi's Falstaff. A fantastic opera from start to finish. It's funny, moving, dramatic with a brilliant ending. And the music is ace!
What do you do when you're not singing/performing?
- in between looking after my little boy (4 weeks old at the time of writing), I'm working my way through The Wire and The Sopranos, I've been known to hack a ball or two round the golf course, and I'm extremely partial to a curry and a pint!
What are you listening to at the moment?
Go by Jonsi. An icelandic musician. He's very talented, I recommend.
If you weren't a performer, what would be your ideal profession?
- an inventor. Well, why not? It would be interesting, challenging and fun.
Tell us your favourite place to be in the world?
With my little boy. Or on a mountain, with some skis strapped to my feet.
Is there anything else you think we should know?
- My uncle used to run the pub in Lower largo and still lives there, and is still a member of the coastguard.
- I climbed Nevis when I was 11 (I climbed Snowdon when I was 10 and scafell pike when I was 9).
- I have a degree in business.