Profile: Nicky Spence, Tenor
Nicky as Baron Lummer with Anita Bader as Christine
Tell us 3 things people might be surprised to learn about you?
- I was once listed as the 9th most eligible bachelor in Scotland.
- I won a holiday on a TV show by taking all my clothes off.
- I do an amazing dolphin impression.
What 's your favourite opera moment or character?
My favourite character is Tom Rakewell in The Rake’s Progress – I don’t know a more honest spiral of decline than in his character.
I'm a sucker for a death-scene, my favourite moment in opera would have to be Dido’s lament and the final chorus which succeeds it – you’d have to have a heart of Aberdeen granite not to be moved to blubs and wails.
What do you do when you're not singing?
I love dancing, writing poetry, eating, and running (not in that order).
What are you listening to at the moment?
A mega-mix of 90s Pop, Strauss and Scottish Folk music.
If you weren't an opera singer, what would be your ideal profession?
In my dreams, I’d be a dancer... in reality, I’d love to be a TV presenter.
Tell us your favourite place to be in the world?
Is there anything else you think we should know?
- I’ve released several albums under the umbrella of ‘The Scottish Tenor’ and had a top ten hit in the Scottish Pop Charts.
- I was brought up in a wee Village in Dumfries and Galloway at the same school of David Coulthard.
- I'll wear a kilt at the drop of a hat. I've embarrassingly got 8 different ones - that's a lot of sheep!
- I’ve strangely been Shirley Bassey’s support act on her arena tour and saw her without her wig on.
- I recorded the Scottish bit for the Rugby World Cup anthem.
What is your proudest moment to date?
Being my niece’s favourite Uncle.