Who we are
Scottish Opera is Scotland’s national opera company. We give performances across Scotland and beyond, and provide an extensive education and outreach programme for people of all ages. We are a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. Scottish Opera is the data controller of the personal information you share with us.
Scottish Opera is registered at the Information Commissioner’s Office. Our data protection registration number is Z4805469.
You can contact us at:
39 Elmbank Crescent
Glasgow G2 4PT
If you have questions about your personal information or how we use it, please contact our Data Protection Controller by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone +44 (0)141 248 4567.
How we collect your personal Information
We collect your personal information when you interact with Scottish Opera:
- When you sign up to receive emails from us through our website (distributed through MailChimp).
- When you join us as a member or renew your membership.
- When you make a donation.
- When you tell us information about yourself at meetings, in conversations, etc.
- When you visit our social media channels: we receive the information that you share with us according to your privacy settings.
- From time to time we may get information about you from third parties, including the venue box offices where you buy tickets for our performances.
The types of information we collect
We collect information that’s necessary to carry out our business, provide you with services you have requested, keep you informed about our activities and to understand your needs.
Joining our e-newsletter mailing list
When you sign up to receive our e-newsletter mailing through our website, we collect the following information:
- First name
- Last name
- Email address
Joining us as a member or becoming a donor
When you join us or renew as a member, supporter or donor, we collect the following information:
- Full name
- Postal address
- Email address
- Phone numbers
- Information about your donation or gift
We may also collect additional personal information such as:
- Direct debit information
- Credit /debit card details
- Gift Aid status and gift information
- Contact preferences
- Current interests, activities and background information
- Details of correspondence sent to or received from you
- Information you give us when completing any membership or donation forms or when we meet
- Information that is publicly available, such as information published in newspapers
Credit/debit card details will only be used for processing your gift or transaction. Card details and personal information will be shared with a third-party processor to authenticate and authorise payments. Scottish Opera will not keep your card details once the transaction is complete.
Using our website
When you visit our site, we obtain the following information from your session:
- IP address
Please see our Cookies Policy below for more information.
Visiting our premises
- We use CCTV in our premises at Elmbank Crescent and Edington Street for security reasons.
How we use your personal information
E-newsletter mailing list – by consent
When you sign up to receive news and updates from us by email, we will use your information to send you regular newsletters by email to keep you up-to-date with relevant information about Scottish Opera performances, events, news and ways to support our work. Occasionally, we will also undertake customer research to help us plan for the future and improve our services. We keep a record of the emails we send you, and may track whether you receive or open them so we can make sure we are sending you the most relevant information. We will always provide you with an opportunity to unsubscribe in any emails that we send to you.
Gift membership – by consent
If you are given a membership as a gift from another individual, we will ask for your consent to collect and process your information to use as described below for members and donors.
Members and donors – legitimate interest
We may use the data we hold about you to send you information for the following purposes, depending on your relationship with Scottish Opera and the preferences you have indicated. These communications may include:
- Information relating to your membership or donations
- Information about performances, events and ways of supporting Scottish Opera
- News and updates about Scottish Opera and related matters
- Requests to support us in various ways
We use your data to:
- Keep records of our relationship with you
- Administer your donation including, where appropriate, processing gift aid
- Process payments
- Provide excellent customer service
- Ensure that we contact you with information most relevant to you
From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes.
You may object to, or ask us to change, the way we use this data at any time by contacting us at email@example.com.
Retention of your personal data
We will only keep information that is necessary for our business purposes, and will only keep it for as long as is reasonably necessary for those purposes and to fulfil our legal obligations, for example, to comply with financial auditing requirements and HMRC. The retention period will vary according to the purpose. For more information, please contact our Data Protection Controller at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sharing your personal data
We will not sell or rent your personal information to any third parties without your prior consent.
We may share your information with market research service providers. Where this research involves automated processing, personal information is anonymised.
We may disclose your personal information where there is a legal requirement on us to do so.
Please be aware that without cookies you will be unable to view some parts of our site, or it may not function properly.
Cookies used on our site
We use two types of cookies:
Strictly necessary cookies
These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features.
These cookies enable us to recognise and count the number of visitors to our site in an anonymous way, and to see how visitors use the site. This helps us to improve how our website works. For this, we use Google Analytics (Google Inc.). They cannot be used to identify you personally. The information generated by the cookie will be transmitted and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Analytical cookies may be used to track the effectiveness of an online advertising campaign. These are used for analysis purposes to help optimise online advertising campaigns and ensure you receive ads that are relevant to you.
Links to other websites
Keeping your data safe
If required to do so by law, we may need to disclose your details.
You have the following rights relating to your personal data:
- The right to know about how we collect and process your personal information
- The right to request a copy of personal information held about you (Subject Access Request – see below)
- The right to request that inaccuracies in the personal information we hold about you are corrected
- The right to request that we stop processing your personal data for reasons of our legitimate interests
- The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office or Fundraising Regulator. To do so, contact the Information Commissioner’s Office www.ico.org.uk
Subject Access Request
Under the General Data Protection Regulation, you can request to see full details of the personal information that Scottish Opera holds about you. You will need to provide proof of identity before we can process your request.
To make a request, please contact:
The Data Protection Controller
39 Elmbank Crescent
Glasgow G2 4PT
If you want us to delete or correct any of your personal information, please contact email@example.com
This policy published on 29 June 2018.